That sorry sight up there is a man's prized new Galaxy S III, which melted after "white flame, sparks and a bang" came out of the thing while the smartphone was sitting in his car-mounted dock.

The owner, who bravely reported on and photographed this horror on a web forum, said his new Galaxy had "burned from the inside out" enough to melt through the plastic casing at the top and stop the phone getting a mobile signal, although the mobile's display continued to work after the miniature explosion.

The chap took it back to the shop he bought it from but was, rather incredibly, told it'd have to be sent away for checks before he'd know if he'd be allowed to have a replacement. Meanwhile, Samsung says it is "aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question." [Boards.ie via Engadget]