Did you miss me? I know one of you did... Well, I'm back after a short holiday (didn't go anywhere, thanks for asking) and I've decided to kick things off with a Shooting Challenge a bit different from 'normal'.
Every person that's ever picked up a camera will have shot the odd duffer at some point; it's all part of the process of learning (or not paying attention). Take some crap shots, learn from them, become better - well, that's how the learning process is supposed to work anyhow. Understanding where you went wrong and learning how not to make the same mistake again and again is all part of the journey.
This week's brief is quite straightforward; send us the best of your worst images (up to five). Time to dig through your hard drive or scan in some old negatives and send them in. Along with your submissions, you must tell us what you were trying to achieve with the photo and why you think it failed. Think of it as a show and tell :)
There's a couple of rule changes to this challenge; 1) you can submit images you've taken before this challenge 2) Absolutely NO post processing allowed unless its REALLY BAD HDR.
I've taken a fair few crappola images over the past few years; the one above is one of them. Taken with a Diana F+ plastic film camera in Las Vegas, it is my attempt at a selfie. Now where to start with what's wrong with it! Let's think..Composition, focus, camera shake and wrong lens. Also, I was trying to capture the busy traffic in the middle of a busy road.. Fail! You can't even tell it's Vegas.. Fail! Colours are nice though :)
What did I learn from it? Never take selfies on a film camera, at least, not one being held in your hand. Other learnings: Diana F+ cameras are expensive (for a cheap plastic shooter), but fun to use.
Looking for 'inspiration' ? Check out the beauts on You Are Not A Photographer. Actually, the site is worth visiting just for the comments. Check out Robert Smith of The Cure sitting on a log.
- Submissions MUST be your own work.
- Submit up to five images
- Photos can be taken before or after the challenge was published
- NO image processing allowed - images must be as nature intended unless it is really bad HDR.
- Explain, briefly in your submission email, the equipment, settings, technique used and more importantly for this challenge, what the fuck you were trying to do/capture.
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
- Please ensure your image is at least 600px wide and less than 3MB in size.
- Save your image as a JPG, and use the following naming convention FirstnameLastnameBestWorst.jpg
- Don't forget to include a shooting summary (see above).
- Send your best photos by Monday, 27th May 2013 at 6pm UK time with "Shooting Challenge - Best of the Worst" in the subject line.
- Anyone can enter, regardless of location.
- The most important rule -- HAVE FUN