It's one thing if your phone bursts into flames and cooks up your leg-meat real bad, but that's nothing compared to losing your whole apartment in an inferno. That's exactly what a Hong Kong man claims happened to him while he was just plugging away at Love Machine (an app, not a euphemism) on his Galaxy S4.
According the owner of the phone and apartment — identified only as "Du" — he was simply minding his own business when the phone's battery went out with a bang. Startled by the loud pop of the apparent explosion, Du quickly flung the handset under the couch, which promptly spread his fire problems from phone to home. And while the explosion was minor, the ensuing inferno did some real damage. Fortunately he and his wife escaped unscathed.
Du claims the phone was not charging at the time, and insists that the phone, battery, and charger were all official Samsung gear. But considering everything is burnt to a crisp, it's going to be tough to tell how much of Du's story is true. But if you just happen to find yourself with a flaming phone you just have to fling, maybe it'd be wise to aim for the sink. [Xianguo via The Register]