Last month, those bespectacled brainboxes over at the Oxford English Dictionary announced their International Word of the Year for 2013. From the shortlist of words which included bitcoin, bedroom tax (isn't that two words?), schmeat (no, I have no idea either) and twerk, they chose selfie.
Love them or loathe them, 2013 has seen the rise of the selfie; with everyone from global leaders and David Cameron as well as dumb-arse criminals getting in on the selfie act. Although OED has traced the origins of the word back to 2002 when it first appeared in an online forum post, the act of the selfie goes way, way back to the dawn of photography when in 1839 elfin-eared amateur chemist and photography enthusiast Robert Cornelius is reported to have taken the world's first selfie.
According to the Public Domain Review, Cornelius had set his camera up at the back of the family store in Philadelphia. He took the image by removing the lens cap and then running into frame where he sat for a minute before covering up the lens again. On the back he wrote "The first light Picture ever taken. 1839."
The brief for this challenge is very simple: Send us your bestest selfie. It could be in any photographic style you like, such as long-exposure, ICM, black and white, abstract, fine art, comedic, christmassy, funny or sad but it has to be brilliant and it has to be you taking a photo of you! I don't want to see a single duck-face or trout pout, so be creative.
As it's Christmas and we're feeling all fuzzy, warm and generous, one lucky bugger will win a Tokyoflash watch courtesy of our chums at err, Tokyoflash. Which watch, you may cry? Any watch, the choice is yours (well, the winner's).
- Follow the brief.
- Submissions must be your own work.
- Submit one image only.
- Photos must be taken after the challenge was published; so no existing shots please.
- Image post-processing is allowed.
- Explain briefly in your submission email the equipment, settings, technique used and the story behind the image/images.
- Please include your full name and address in your email (so we can send you your prize if you win).
- Please ensure EXIF info is intact (if image was taken digitally).
- Email submissions to email@example.com
- Please ensure your image is at least 600px wide and less than 3MB in size.
- Save your image as a JPG, and use the following naming convention FirstnameLastnameSELFIE.jpg
- Don't forget to include a shooting summary (see above).
- Send your best photos by Monday, December 30th 2013 at 6pm UK time with "Shooting Challenge - SELFIE" in the subject line.
- Anyone can enter, regardless of location.
- The most important rule -- HAVE FUN!