wtf

Two Die in Phone/Cesspit Fumes Tragedy

By Gary Cutlack on at

Two people in China reportedly died after an attempt to rescue an expensive new phone from a cesspit ended in tragedy, with the owner's husband and mother both losing their lives after being overcome by fumes.

The story goes that the husband waded in first, after the 2,000 yuan (£190) phone fell into the cesspit of an open toilet, knee-deep in waste. When the fumes got to him the owner's mother-in-law also went in to try to rescue him, before also falling victim to the fumes.

More people jumped in and lost consciousness, before villagers came together to pull everyone out with ropes. Two more remain in hospital. [SCMP via Cnet]

Image credit: Old toilet from Shutterstock