This is it; the end! We’ve come to the end of a fantastic voyage. It’s time to say goodbye to Giz UK editor Kat Hannaford, who will be switching off her work computer one last time at the end of September to start a new voyage of discovery "down south".
Kat has been at the helm of Gizmodo UK since its launch in 2011 and she has decided to hand the keys to the office biscuit tin to Matt Hill before heading off on a six-month trip around the southern hemisphere (not the Isle of Wight).
Without Kat, you wouldn’t have me spouting drivel every couple of weeks in the guise of a Shooting Challenge so you can thank her for that. So simply I shall raise a glass of fizzy water and say "Bon Voyage Kat".
For this Shooting Challenge I want you to photograph a ‘voyage’ – what that voyage is I will leave entirely up to you. It could be a man on a lonely platform, one case sitting by his side, a train full of miserable commuters at rush hour, or even a voyage of discovery!
Your photo could be thought-provoking or humorous, colour or monochrome, have a ‘message’ or just be a great shot that tells a story without any words.
Departure Gate #10 was snapped by me at Palma airport while waiting for a plane to take me and my new wife home from our honeymoon. Although I had a proper camera with me, I took some candid shots on my Sony Xperia Z phone and edited them in Snapseed.
- Follow the brief
- Submissions must be your own work.
- Submit up to five images
- Photos must be taken after the challenge was published; so no existing shots please.
- Minimal image post-processing is permitted (global changes only)
- Explain briefly in your submission email the equipment, settings, technique used and the story behind the image/images.
- Ensure EXIF info is intact (if image was taken digitally).
- Email submissions to email@example.com
- Please ensure your image is at least 600px wide and less than 3MB in size.
- Save your image as a JPG, and use the following naming convention FirstnameLastnameVoyage.jpg
- Don’t forget to include a shooting summary (see above).
- Send your best photos by Monday, October 6th 2014 at 6pm UK time with “Shooting Challenge - Voyage” in the subject line.
- Anyone can enter, regardless of location
- The most important rule — HAVE FUN!
Martin Snelling is a Hampshire-based photomatographer and wearer of fine hats. He tweets here and he is currently working on a
long-term photography project entitled View From This Side.