Engineers working on the £6.5 billion Thameslink Programme have made a startling discovery, the remains of a 'ghost' train station on top of a viaduct in Bermondsey.
Southwark Park station was uncovered as the top of the viaduct was being prepared for the installation of new tracks. During days gone by it served passengers between 1902 and 1915, before being shut down thanks to the First World War and competition from buses and trams.
The current stretch of Victorian viaduct, situated above Rotherhithe New Road, is set to be replaced as part of the Thameslink Programme improvement works. The only part of the structure set to remain will be the arch that used to house the station's booking hall. [London Evening Standard]