War, war never changes. But levels of excitement do.
To say we were hyped about Fallout 4 upon its official unveiling is an understatement. But now, having seen some gameplay footage? Well you might as well just lock us away in a vault until it's released, as it's all we can think about now.
During its first ever E3 press conference last night, developers Bethesda showed off a tonne of gameplay footage for the sequel, as well as revealing the Fallout 4 release date: we'll be heading to the Boston wasteland from November 10th.
Here's the game in action:
There's a lot going on in the clips, and a lot more announced offscreen in terms of gameplay details during the conference. But the main points to take away are.
- The VATs time-stopping targeting feature is still available.
- There's a mad, working Pip Boy accessory being sold along with the Collector's Edition.
- You'll be able to make both male and female characters using a comprehensive character creator.
- Conversations will be fully voiced and branching, with more than a touch of Mass Effect about them.
- A ridiculously deep crafting system will let you make weapons from ALL salvaged items across the wasteland.
- You can get a jetpack.
- Your pet pooch can take orders, including being sent to fetch items.
- You'll be able to establish settlements, have townsfolk come to live there, and then fend off attacks from raiders as your settlement grows.
- You will get to play in the pre-bomb era.
And, if that first trailer wasn't proof enough, it looks bloody gorgeous, in an end-of-the-world sorta way. Heading to Xbox One, PS4 and PC, it's set to be a massive game, so it might be worth postponing Christmas as you prepare to spend the Yuletide season in the cheery post-apocalyptic Boston wasteland that Bethesda has built.