Here's What Young People Search For When They Want Porn

By Gizmodo Australia on at

By Luke Hopewell

Young people (also known commonly as “millennials”) love their porn. A whole lot. Naughty video site, Pornhub, has done taken a look at its internal search history and found what these millennials are actually searching for, coming up with some great charts in the process.

Millennials in this context are users aged between 18 and 34 years of age. That age group makes up 60 per cent of Pornhub’s enormous online audience. To give you an idea of how big that is: last year the site recorded 78.9 billion video views, up from 68 billion the year before.

Men make up the majority of the gender split in the millenial porn browser, with only 24 per cent of the under-35 audience being women.

These millenials browse differently to their older counterparts, Pornhub writes. They stay up later to browse the site — usually between 11pm and midnight. That’s an hour later than browsers over the age of 35. Millenials are off the site faster, too: they spend 9 minutes and 10 seconds on Pornhub during an average visit, whereas those aged 35 and over spend 10 minutes and 15 seconds on average per visit.

Millennials also do a great deal of their browsing on mobile devices: 60 per cent of their porn is searched for on a mobile device, compared to just 42 per cent in those over 35. The only device that the older generation uses more than their millennial counterparts is tablets: millennial browse on their tablets just 7 per cent of the time, but those aged 35 and up use their tablet devices twice that much.

When browsing on their mobile devices, Pornhub can infer that the majority of millennials are browsing from their iPhones, with Safari the top browser on the go. That’s followed closely by Google Chrome, and rounded out by generic Android browsers.

As for desktop browsing, millennials far and away prefer the Google Chrome browser, followed by Mozilla Firefox. As you can see below, Safari and Internet Explorer are both tied.

As for which operating system millennials prefer, the winner is Microsoft by a mile. While Mac OS isn’t nearly as popular as Windows, it shows that Apple has a firm foothold in the under-35 market, with millenials using Macs 45 per cent more than their older counterparts.

But it doesn’t stop there: millennials are also browsing for porn on their game consoles, with the PlayStation Vita coming out a massive winner:

No matter what they’re browsing with, the interesting question here is what are these millennials searching for between 11pm and Midnight on their smartphones and PlayStation Vitas? Pornhub says that the most popular search term for this younger age group is “lesbian”, followed by “teen” and “step mom”.

Below are the most popular search terms in descending order.

The most interesting term in that list, writes Pornhub, is the “hentai” search:

Standing out a little more here is ‘hentai,’ which becomes even more prevalent when we examine which search terms millennials search for proportionally more than 35+ aged users. This was perhaps some of the most fascinating millennial-related data that we came across when researching for this post. As you can see in the chart below, terms like ‘cosplay,’ ‘hentai’ and ‘anime’ are 214%, 190% and 131% more searched for by millenials than our users aged 35 and up.

And they’re absolutely right. The graph below shows that millennials are more interested in searches like “pov”, “anime”, “emo” and “hentai” than their older counterparts.

This excellent data isn’t just sourced from US viewers, either: Pornhub collected this information from all around the world, including the UK.

60 per cent of Australia’s Pornhub traffic comes from millennials aged 18-35, with the other 40 per cent being made up by the older generation. That 60/40 split between millennials and older viewers is smack bang on the global average.

Check out more graphs about how young people browse Pornhub on the site’s Insight blog.

Graphs: Pornhub


Gizmodo Australia is gobbling up the news in a different timezone, so check them out if you need another Giz fix.