Sandwiches are the reason why happiness is possible. Why being optimistic pays off. Why lending a helping hand is worth it. Because if you’re a good person who does more good things than bad things, your faith in life is reaffirmed when you bite into a sandwich. Every sandwich is basically paying it forward. Here are 13 wild sandwiches from all over the world, I don’t even recognize some of these.
Here’s the full 13 and the video below by the excellent Food, People, Places shows you how to make them. I wonder if people in South Africa and Poland are as amazed by the Sloppy Joe as I am the Gatsby Sandwich (steak! ham! chips! some crazy sauce! in a sandwich!) and the Zapiekanka.
- The Chicken-Avocado-Aioli from Australia
- The Gatsby Sandwich from South Africa
- The Cucumber Sandwich from Great Britain
- The Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich from North America
- The Danish Smorrebrod
- The Italian Panini
- The French Croque Monsieur
- The Turkish (or German) Döner Kebap
- The Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwich
- The American Sloppy Joe
- The South American Choripan
- The Polish Zapiekanka
- The Toast Hawaii from Germany
This article originally appeared on Sploid, a Gizmodo blog of delicious brain candy