Stop! Don't do it! That Mars bar in your lunchbox may be mighty tempting, but it might not be safe; US chocolate giant Mars has ordered a massive, 55 country-wide product recall, after plastic was found in one of its chocolate bars.
The alert was raised after a German customer found a red piece of plastic in a Snickers bar (another of the chocolate giant's lines), which was traced back to a protective covering in the company's manufacturing plant in Veghel, the Netherlands.
“We are currently investigating exactly what’s happened, but we cannot be sure that this red piece of plastic isn’t in any other of our products from the same production line,” Eline Bijveld, Mars' corporate affairs co-ordinator told the Guardian.
That means that, as well as Snickers bars, Mars bars, Milky Way bars and boxes of Celebrations mini chocolates could also have been contaminated.
The products believed to have been affected have a best before date from 19th June 2016 to 8th January 2017, which suggests a huge amount chocolate is now destined for a landfill. Sob.
But better safe than sorry, eh? As well as the UK, countries that the recall extends to includes Holland, Germany, France, Sri Lanka and Vietnam (though US chocolate lovers can rest easy.) You've been warned. [Guardian]