A new job posting on Glassdoor has revealed that Amazon’s keen to get into virtual reality as soon as possible. The company this week put up an ad for a senior software ‘Develompment’ manager for VR. It isn’t just the typo that got us excited.
The description shows that Amazon wants to create a team that’ll be responsible for “building the Virtual Reality experience within Amazon Video.” Amazon’s exact intentions with VR aren’t yet clear, but it appears to be set to go above and beyond merely letting users watch content on VR headsets. Early reports suggest the company wants to create and distribute VR content too, and I'm sure we'll learn plenty more over the coming weeks and months.
Netflix has already confirmed that it wants to dip its toes into the VR pool, but is more focused on HDR and 4K content right now, so Amazon will no doubt be pleased to beat its rival to the punch. As it did with Clarkson’s new car show. Though Netflix is believed to be working on securing streaming rights to the new, Chris Evans-fronted Top Gear.
So, what do you need in the locker to have a chance of landing Amazon's new job?
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 15+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 7+ years of technical experience as software developer, or related role
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a software development manager
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals
- A proven track record of building teams and delivering software through all phases of development
That’s just Amazon’s base list of requirements. The company’s also got a set of preferred qualifications, including knowledge of professional software engineering practices and experience with distributed computing systems. [Upload VR]