Star Trek’s 50th birthday is this year, and the celebration has begun — there’s the new TV show on the way, cool merchandise, and a new film. But this downright gorgeous collection might be the greatest thing about the year so far.
Announced today for a release on September 6th (though it's not clear whether that is US only or for wider markets), just two days ahead of the actual 50th anniversary of the show’s airing in 1966, the Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection spreads all three seasons of the original series, the entirety of Star Trek: The Animated Series, and the first six Star Trek films featuring the original cast across 30 Blu-ray discs. Sandwiched between those is over 20 hours of behind-the-scenes content, including a new documentary specifically shot for the anniversary. To boot, you also get six mini-posters based on the movies, and a neat little Starfleet insignia badge. Here’s a full breakdown of the contents:
- Star Trek: The Original Series Blu-ray
- Star Trek: The Animated Series Blu-ray
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture Blu-ray
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Director’s Cut Blu-ray
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Blu-ray
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Blu-ray
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Blu-ray
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Blu-ray
- Star Trek: The Journey to the Silver Screen—New 50th Anniversary Multi-Part Documentary
- Collectible 50th Anniversary Starfleet Insignia Pin
- Collectible Mini-Posters for Movies 1-6
- Over 20 hours of bonus content
Paramount have yet to reveal a price for the bundle but don’t expect his to come cheap. Holy hell, though — what a box set.