Amid continued reports of their new flagship smartphone catching on fire, Samsung suspended global sales and replacements of the Galaxy Note 7 on Monday and advised current owners to turn the devices off. Earlier in the day, the company confirmed it was “adjusting” the phone’s production schedule after reports that Samsung had temporarily stopped manufacturing the device.
“We are working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7,” said a Samsung representative in a statement to Gizmodo. “Consumers with an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 should power down and take advantage of the remedies available.”
Samsung previously claimed that the fires were the result of a defective battery found in some of the phones and began offering replacement Note 7s to customers last month. Since then, however, several of the allegedly safe replacement phones have also reportedly ignited, including at least three in the last week alone.
On Monday, CPSC chairman Elliot Kaye thanked the companies for taking a “leadership role” in their customers’ safety and advised all Note 7 owners to stop using the phones as “the safest course of action.”
“While we continue our active investigation into reports of phones overheating and burning in multiple states, consumers should power down and stop using all Galaxy Note7s,” said Kaye in a statement. “No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property. Due to the ongoing safety concerns associated with Galaxy Note7 phones, it is the right move for Samsung to suspend the sale and exchange of all Galaxy Note7s.”