Apple announced wireless charging for the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPhone X today, but it wouldn’t be an Apple product without an expensive new accessory. Unfortunately, we don’t know how expensive the AirPower charging mat will be, but it’s coming next year.
Wireless charging has struggled to become a standard feature in all devices, at least in part, because of industry fights over whether to use the PMA or Qi standard. It was all but certain that Apple would be adopting the Qi standard after it joined the Wireless Power Consortium that advocates for it. Because major phones like the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the Note 8 support both standards, Qi should be the clear leader once Apple throws its 16.9 per cent market share into the game. But from what Apple has said at its big event, it wants to reshape what Qi actually is.
We were given very few details about AirPower outside of the fact that it can charge one of the new iPhones, an Apple Watch, and AirPods all at the same time. All three devices are also connected while charging. And because this is wireless, the USB-C port will be freed up for wired headphones as the iPhone and AirPods charge up.
For now, all Apple is saying is that it’s working with the Wireless Power Consortium to integrate its technology into the overall Qi standard and they plan to launch AirPower sometime next year.
Everything Else From Apple's iPhone X Reveal Event
- The New Apple Watch Is Basically Also a Smartphone
- Well Here it is at Last: the iPhone 8
- Apple TV 4K Is a 4K Apple TV, Finally
- Did Apple Just Stage a Life-Threatening Car Wreck for Its Emotional Apple Watch Advert?
- iPhone X: Everything You Need to Know About Apple's Most Exciting Phone in Years
- Apple Quietly Introduced Fast Charging For iPhone X and iPhone 8
- How Apple's New Face ID Works
- iPhone X Will Cost at Least £145 More In the UK Than the US
- Every iPhone X Feature You Can't Get in a Non-Apple Smartphone
- Everything the iPhone X Doesn't Have
- Apple's AirPower Wireless Charging Mat Coming Next Year
- Our Friends at TechRadar Went Hands-on With the iPhone X
- Everything Apple Announced Today
- Did Apple Just Kill Rose Gold?
- When Can You Get All the Shit Apple Announced?
- iPhones Compared: How the iPhone X Stacks Up Against iPhone 8 and 8 Plus