Dangerous Snake Found in Kid's Packed Lunch

By Kim Snaith on at

Just in case you need another reason to never, ever go to Australia, a venomous snake has turned up inside a school lunch box. Not just any venomous snake either — it was an eastern brown. And in case you're not up on your herpetology, that's the world's second most venomous snake. Nope. Super nope.

When I was a kid, my packed lunch wasn't particularly exciting -  ham sandwiches cut into triangles, a strawberry mousse, a packet of crisps, and, if I was really lucky, a toffee-flavoured Trio. I used to long to find something more interesting when I opened it up, but now I realise how lucky I was to have naught but bog-standard food in there.

The snake was only a wee juvenile, but despite its small size, it's still incredibly dangerous. A bite from an eastern brown can cause diarrhoea, dizziness, convulsions, renal failure, cardiac arrest and paralysis. Oh, and if left untreated, you can die. So, basically, having one of these little buggers in your lunch box is not an ideal school dinner.

Thankfully, this particular chap was spotted by an adult and was safely let outside before anybody was harmed. [BBC]

Image courtesy of Snake Catchers Adelaide/Facebook