Magic of Science Starts Essex House Fire

By Gary Cutlack on at

Did you know that boring, sedentary household items can cause house fires too? We don't mean the usual suspects like matches, irons, massive pots of cooking oil, unregulated internet fireworks, 1970s gas heaters, or hair dryers with their power cords taped on. Amazingly, even your bedroom mirror can't be trusted enough to be left alone.

Firefighters from the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene of a fire in Walton-on-the-Naze, to be greeted by the horrifying but also scientifically enlightening scene of a fire started by sunlight reflecting off a mirror. The reflected light somehow ignited the contents of a desk, leading the fire service to warn: "This incident shows how easy it is for magnifying or reflective objects to cause fires. Please ensure there are no such objects on your window sills or anywhere in your home where they are in direct sunlight."

More great news for fans of things to worry about. [BBC]