Believe it or not, but our Shooting Challenge has just turned two. To celebrate the occasion, we are mixing things up for the next four weeks with a new style of photography competition.
Back in 2012 Giz UK's editor Kat asked me if I'd be interested in bringing our older US brother's popular Shooting Challenge feature to the UK. Once my rider was agreed upon I set about creating suitable challenges for you, the UK readers. During the two years we've covered a number of different shooting styles, techniques and themes. Longtime Giz UK-ers may recall the first Shooting Challenge was all about the great British weather.
While I still have a long list of subjects and techniques to cover in future Shooting Challenges, I thought I'd introduce a little off-shoot from the regular series. They do say that a change is as good as a rest, after all.
So, what's different? Well for the next four weeks, I want you to submit the best photo you've taken that week (see below for the dates). Points will then be awarded to the top three pics and the photographer with the most points at the end of the fourth week will win an Acer Aspire Switch laptop/tablet. In the event of a draw, we'll go into extra time and have a penalty shootout. 'Tis the season.
In short, you need to submit a new photo every week for four weeks to be in with a shot at the prize.
There are a new set of rules for this competition so please ensure you read them, digest them and stick to them.
The Shooting Dates:
The dates below are when you can take photos for the competition rounds. They run from 00:00 on the Monday through to 23:59 on the Sunday. You'll then have until 6pm on the Monday after the shooting week to get your snap in.
Round #1: June 16th - June 22nd (image submitted by 6pm - June 23rd)
Round #2: June 23rd - June 29th (image submitted by 6pm - June 30th)
Round #3: June 30th - July 6th (image submitted by 6pm - July 7th)
Round #4: July 7th - July 13th (image submitted by 6pm - July 14th)
Any questions? Leave a comment below and I'll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
If you're the top of the photographic leaderboard at the end of the competition you'll bag yourself an Acer Aspire Switch 10 laptop tablet hybrid.
The lead image was taken by Richard Minns and was the winning entry in our modern architecture challenge back in October 2012.
- Submit one image per round.
- Submissions must be your own work.
- Photos must be taken during the challenge dates listed above. Photos taken outside of this date will be trashed.
- Post-processing is permitted but you must give details of what changes were made
- Explain briefly in your submission email the equipment, settings, technique used and the story behind the image/images.
- Ensure EXIF info is intact (if image was taken digitally).
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please ensure your image is at least 600px wide and less than 3MB in size.
- Save your image as a JPG, and use the following naming convention FirstnameLastRound1.jpg
- Don't forget to include a shooting summary (see above).
- Send your best photos by Monday, June 23rd 2014 at 6pm UK time with "Shooting Challenge - Round #1" in the subject line.
- Anyone can enter, regardless of location.
- The most important rule -- HAVE FUN!