Today, something interesting is happened. We're having an extra second added to the day, because of something to do with science and time and how the world's not the fast-spinning youth it once was.
We will, at midnight, experience the rare event of having a 61-second minute, so the clocks can allow for the fact that the earth is spinning slightly slower than it was when we first started counting time. Only atomic clocks will display the 61st second at midnight, with the rest of us probably not really noticing anything happening at all.
But if you're planning on staying up to see the momentous extra second unfold live, here are some ideas for spending that extra time:
- Open a new tab
- Close an existing tab you'll probably never get around to reading
- Think about eating something
- Tut at an extra someone on the internet
- Reload something to see if it's changed
- Enjoy one extra glance at your phone
- Extra sleep
- Short screen break
Let us know if you've got any more plans for tonight's spare second.