BT's getting fully onboard with the smart home trend, with a range of new products starting with a camera unveiled today.
The inventively-named Smart Home Cam costs £59.98 and offers:
- Live streaming at 720p with AES 128-bit encryption
- Multiple IR sensors for night vision in complete darkness
- PIR motion detection with alerts and snapshots on your phone
- Free snapshot cloud storage for the past 30 days
- Record video to your smartphone
- SD card slot for motion-detected video storage (up to 32GB)
- Two-way audio so you can talk to pets/kids and hear them grunt with disdain
The accompanying Smart Controls app is available free on Android or iOS, and BT points out that the camera works with any broadband provider (as it should!). Annoyingly though, you'll need a new account for the camera app -- you can't use your BT.com login if you have one.
The camera itself is not the prettiest, but we've seen worse:
Oddly, although it's new and was only released this week, the camera has two five-star reviews on the BT website dating from September. Staff...?
Bruce Cuthbert, Director of BT Devices, comments:
"This Smart Home Cam is the first in our new range of Smart Home products and comes with some exciting features like motion detection notifications, live snapshots to your smartphone and image storage in the cloud.
It’s ideal for giving customers peace of mind when they’re away and checking in on pets and the family at an affordable price."
There'll be more BT smart home products to come in 2019, but presumably they wanted to get this one out in time for people going away at Christmas and New Year.
If you want one, it's on sale here now.