The whole notch debate has led to some very welcome innovation in smartphone design, including the emo notch, the hole-punch/doughnut phone, and the return of sliders.
Clicky slider phones were a thing back in the days of flip phones and physical T9 keys, and they're on their way back to these shores with the news that Xiaomi's Mi Mix 3 will get a release date here.
Techradar reports that the phone will launch here early next year, though we don't have a price yet. It's Xiaomi, so unlikely to break the bank.
The Mi Mix 3's features include:
- All-screen display with tiny bezels (93.4% screen-to-body ratio)
- Sliding screen with the selfie cameras underneath
- 6.39-inch Full HD display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chipset
- 6GB RAM, 128GB storage
- 10W wireless charging and a wireless charging mat included
- Dual 12MP + 12MP rear cameras
- 24 + 2MP front cameras with a selfie light
The physical sliding mechanism of the phone uses magnets, and Xiaomi promises a "satisfying click" as it locks into place. Sliding the phone also answers calls and apparently gives you a shortcut menu, as well as giving access to the selfie cameras.
We're not getting all the Mi Mix 3 colours here in the UK, but Onyx Black and Sapphire Blue will be on sale. Doesn't look like the gorgeous Jade Green will be joining them, sadly.
What do you reckon – would you buy a slider phone again? Is there anything new under the sun? Let us know in the comments.