Recently we saw a teaser image for what claimed to be a Stranger Things-themed Lego set, and at the time I wondered whether it was real because Lego adapting such a mature-themed show was completely contrary to how it's operated in the past. But it looks like my scepticism was misplaced, because Lego's started teasing the new range for a midnight launch at the Leicester Square Lego Store next week.
Lego VIPs may have already had emails about this launch, teasing something new and top secret - the most recent of which promised something 'strange' was coming. Now there's an event page for the launch on Facebook, with even more teases about what's to come. Teases like this very telling image:
The event also promises there is a set that can be purchased on the night, but in limited quantities. 400 people will be given a wristband to have the opportunity to by the set before it goes on general release, with the page confirming that it will cost £180 and will come in a box that's 32 x 44 x 21 cm. So it's pretty big, and it might be a bit of a pain getting it home on public transport. Wristbanders are also limited to purchasing two sets at the time, which they can have signed by the designers.
- People without wristbands are allowed in the shop, though it's only so big and there will be limits on that. But that means they too can enjoy other nightly activities, including:
- Meet the LEGO Designer, Justin Ramsden and get the set signed
- Netflix and Build - take part in a special building experience
- Hang out and engage with fans of LEGO bricks and one of the most popular Netflix series
- Enjoy some “totally tubular” refreshments
- Last but not least… dress to impress! Show your best 80’s swag!
And there's also this teaser, which is reminiscent of the first series of Stranger Things. The Morse Code translates to 'coming soon'.
— LEGO (@LEGO_Group) May 9, 2019
We'll have more information on this mystery set as we get it. For the record I still think it's weird that Lego is scrapping its family friendly approach, even if Stranger Things is incredibly popular.