To celebrate its exclusive coverage of the US Open that kicks off next week, Amazon is serving up a deranged and unholy mash-up or British and American classic food and drinks, and I think I love it.
Let's just get the boring reason behind the birth of these devilish delights out of the way first. Prime Video will be airing live and exclusive coverage of the US open, and this is the second year on the trot that you can tune in to listen to a wide and varied spectrum of grunts as people smack a load of balls around. Excited? Fantastic. Now then, let's get back on track.
To mark this occasion, on August 29 you can head to BoxPark Shoreditch in East London and visit Prime Video’s Perfect Serve Pop-Up for a taste of combos from two countries that are probably at the bottom of everyone's list when it comes to their culinary contributions to the world.
This American-meets-British fusion is something nobody in their right mind would ask for, and includes Strawberry and Cream Burgers, Fish n Chip Corndogs, Cucumber Hot Dogs, Champagne Breakfast and Smoked Salmon Pizza, and lastly, Pimm’s, Popcorn and Pretzel Ice Cream Float.
I know what you're thinking. "Sounds like someone needs an MRI scan." Definitely. But on closer inspection, these monstrosities sound delightful!
- Strawberry and Cream Burgers - Brioche slider bun with ice cream, fresh strawberries and frozen strawberry yoghurt patty, strawberry coulis burger sauce, mint ‘lettuce’ leaves
- Fish n Chip Corndogs - Cod croquettes in cornmeal with crisp ‘breadcrumbs’ and pea mustard
- Cucumber Hot Dogs - Mini brioche roll with hot dog, dill cucumber ribbons, cream cheese and watercress
- Champagne Breakfast, Smoked Salmon Pizza - Champagne hollandaise sauce, smoked salmon, spinach, caviar on a sourdough pizza slice
- Pimm’s, Popcorn and Pretzel Ice Cream Float - A classic coke float / milkshake drink clashed with a traditional fruit-infused glass of Pimm’s
Well maybe not that ice cream float, but that's what the MRI is for. There's also the chance to win a Fire TV stick while you're getting your grub on.
All of the sport stuff takes place between August 26 and September 8, and hosts Catherine Whitaker, Daniela Hantuchova, and Greg Rusedski will be joined by John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova and Tim Henman for the first time, which is exciting news for fans. Some familiar faces will also be headed back to the studio, including Jim Courier, Annabel Croft, Mark Petchey and Karthi Gnanasegaram.
I recognise three names on that list. I'm just here for the food.