OnePlus already has its hand in the 5G smartphone market with the OnePlus 7 Pro 5G, but CEO Pete Lau says the company will be launching another 5G-ready handset before the year is out.
“If you want to be a premium phone in 2020, you have to be equipped with 5G technology,” he told The Financial Times, before going on to say that the second 5G smartphone is planned for Q4 2019.
Currently, everyone is expecting OnePlus to follow its usual pattern of releasing a flagship phone earlier in the year, followed by a T edition a number of months later. This year has been a bit different, with two flagship devices - the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro - launching simultaneously, but rumours of a T edition for the OnePlus 7 Pro at the least have been doing the rounds for a while.
The T edition phones usually launch in October or November, and while an alleged launch of October 15 was recently shot down, that doesn't mean we won't see them at all.
Lau could easily be referring to a possible OnePlus 7T Pro 5G. I guess we'll have to wait for more inevitable leaks to find out.
You can read more about the OnePlus 7 Pro in our review and we've also covered the differences between the OnePlus 7 and OnePlus 7 Pro, in case you were curious.
Just this week, the company unveiled the name of its upcoming Android TV, dubbed OnePlus TV. A bit out there, I know, but I think with some time, we'll all get used to it.