Mobile World Congress might be off, but the product announcements are still coming thick and fast – both in mobiles and every other kind of tech.
Samsung's just unveiled its 2020 lineup of TV and sound tech, including a badass flagship QLED 8K TV, a load more 8K and 4K screens, and a TV that works both vertically and horizontally.
The headline TV is called the Q950TS and "offers unprecedented technology and an unrivalled immersive viewing experience, combining pristine picture and sound quality, intelligent AI capabilities and premium design."
It comes in a choice of 65, 75 or 85 inches, with an edge-to-edge picture (called an "infinity screen" because Samsung) giving a screen-to-body ratio of 99%. It's pretty damn slim at 15mm, and includes six speakers within that.
Other QLED 8K TVs announced include the Q900T and Q800T, with a range of sizes from the pitiful (JK) 55 to the ridiculous 98.
Those are joined by five new 4K TVs (keep up!): the Q60T, Q70T, Q80T, Q90T and Q95T, ranging from 43 to 85 inches.
Nathan Sheffield, Head of TV and Sound Devices at Samsung Europe comments:
"We are in a new era of intelligent display; this year will bring even more demand for TV personalisation. Our 2020 TV and Sound Device line-up is our strongest, smartest and most immersive yet, catering to a variety of lifestyles without the need for compromise."
If you're wondering what "intelligent display" means, it refers to the 2020 lineup's new Smart Screen AI tricks, namely:
- "Quantum Dot AI combines Samsung’s 8K content processor with industry leading platform, Tizen to upscale any content. Regardless of source or current resolution, content can now be displayed across 33 million pixels.
- Adaptive Picture analyses light conditions as well as the content on the screen to ensure perfect picture quality, regardless of whether TV is watched in a bright or dark room.
- Active Voice Amplifier eliminates European consumers’ second largest distraction when watching TV – background noise. It automatically recognises these interruptions and adjusts voice clarity accordingly.
- Objecting Tracking Sound+ creates a three-dimensional sound effect by combining the multiple speakers on the top, side and bottom of the TV with a proprietary AI algorithm. OTS+ perfectly matches audio with the on-screen action, providing the ultimate viewing experience.
- Q-Symphony is a unique multi-speaker implementation. For the first time ever, 2020 QLED TVs will keep the top and side speakers active when attaching a Samsung Q Series soundbar to give a richer, fuller surround sound."
The new Q Series range of soundbars includes the excitingly-named Q800T, Q70T and Q60T, which all use Acoustic Beam tech and object-based audio by Dolby Atmos and DTS:X to make everything sound superb. There's also the S Series, including the S60T and S40T, which are designed to work as standalone music soundbars without the need for a TV.
Samsung also announced that Disney+ will be coming to Samsung TVs across Europe from the 24th of March, and that its TVs will offer a choice of Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Bixby (sigh) for voice control.
There are new multi-screen options, too: Multi-View lets you extend your phone screen to the TV with 14 different layout options (!), and Tap View lets you mirror your phone screen to the TV by tapping it on the TV itself.
Finally, Samsung announced three new options for extremely fancypants "design-first" and "lifestyle" TVs. The first, the Sero, can flip between horizontal and vertical, and connects to your phone to display content.
There are new versions of the Samsung Serif (so called because it looks like a Times New Roman letter I from the side), which will now come in 43, 49 and 55 inch models and two colours: Cloud White and Cotton Blue.
Finally, there are new models of the Samsung Frame, which is a posh TV masquerading as a framed picture. New 32- and 75-inch models have been added to the range, and it has a new AI curation feature that helps it choose artwork it thinks you'll like (yes, the world has gone insane, we're getting used to it).