Bull With Itchy Bum Causes Power Cut

By Shabana Arif on at

It starts off as a tickle, and before you know it, you're looking for sandpaper, a blunt knife, or a transformer pole to scratch that itch. It happens to the best of us, and it happened to Ron the bull.

Ron is still sporting his winter coat, which is hwy he's been looking for a scratching post. Unfortunately, he chose a telegraph pole with a transformer box attached, and his vigorous itching dislodged the box. It was a near-miss for Ron, who could have been zapped by 11,000 volt had he made contact with the cables that were pulled down, and a minor inconvenience for the 800 locals in Chapelton, Strathaven, and Glassford who had their power cut off as a result. Ron's owner, Hazel Laughton, said:

"We got up around 06:00 and we saw a big generator sitting at the bottom of our road, all linked up to the poles. We thought that was a bit strange.

"We went up to feed our cows and it was my husband that noticed the transformer box had been knocked off the pole.

"We put two and two together and realised our bull had been scratching against the telegraph pole and he had knocked the box off the pole. All the wires were down in the field as well."

Engineers arrived to fix everything and the pole is being fenced off so that Ron doesn't cook a field of cows by accident, all because of his itchy arse. [BBC News]

Feature image credit: Hazel Laughton via BBC